Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Author Wednesdays-Regina Carlysle!!

                                                      © Astine | Dreamstime Stock Photos & Stock Free Images


Hi Regina! Welcome to For Whom The Books Toll. Thanks for stopping by today and answering some questions.


Can you tell us a little about yourself?
Absolutely! I have pretty much lived in small towns most of my life. Born in Oklahoma but lived in west Texas for well over 30 years. After my divorce, I re-located to central Florida (Orlando area) to be closer to family. Though I love it here (very beautiful), there isn’t a day that goes by when I don’t miss Texas. I have a grown son, Ben, and a grown daughter, Avery (who is my constant companion at conventions). I am a true girly-girl who loves to meet people, and yes, I’m a big talker!

Share 5 fun facts about yourself.
I have Native American ancestry (Cherokee) many whom died on Trail of Tears. (Surprising since I’m a natural blonde and don’t look in the least NA)
I cry very easily (think commercials, movies, songs, anything sentimental)
As a teen, I was a champion chicken judger
I once won a beauty contest (weird and unbelievable to me now)
I have a fairly heavy Texas accent


What was your ideal career when you were a child?
I wanted to be a professional singer (although I couldn’t sing a lick…still can’t) or a missionary (don’t know where that idea came from either)

Tell us about a typical writing day for you.
Get up for lots of coffee, do promo (including social media) and then I write (taking frequent breaks for more coffee). Normally I stop around 4ish and spend the evenings with my kids. I usually have one day a week for ‘outside the house’ errands and I don’t write on those days.

On average, how long does it take you to write a book?
It depends. A novella takes about a month. I tend to be a slow writer who edits as she goes. A novel can take two months, sometimes longer

How long does it take to write sex scenes?
My sex scenes tend to be long. Don’t know why but I guess I get carried away. It can take an entire day (maybe two) to get one down.

Where do you find writing inspiration?
I find inspiration in movies and music. Often, I head outside and watch squirrels and birds as I think about my next move in a book.

Do you have a favorite writing snack?
Coffee and chocolate. If I’m ‘night writing’, I’ll have a glass of wine or two.

Do you have any writing rituals?
I almost always light a scented candle and keep it nearby. Lovely scents calm me and help me get into the story.

Where’s your favorite place to write?
Outside on my patio, especially when it’s raining.

What’s the best way to get over writer’s block?
Step back, find a quiet place to ‘think’ until I work through the issue. Often brainstorming with my daughter, late at night, inspires me on a new project.

What scene for you was the hardest to write and how did you overcome that obstacle?
I don’t have a particular scene that stands out in my mind but I will say that an opening scene of any book is toughest for me. Action scenes are particularly difficult for me to write as well. When those times happen, I try to slow down my thoughts and not rush. Detail is important in both action and sex scenes and it’s more important to get it right than to ‘get it fast’.

What’s your biggest writing achievement? Why?
My biggest writing achievement was probably my first sale. It was many years ago but I’d been working at this for so damn long that to finally get that ‘call’ was amazing. I’ll never forget the moment. Now I have close to 50 books under my belt. I love them all and love each contract offer but nothing will ever compete with that first sale.

How do you celebrate a new book?
I go out for a nice dinner with family and crack open a bottle of wine or two.

Can you tell us about your book, Mad Moon?
Mad Moon is book six of my popular High Plains Shifters series (Ellora’s Cave) and tells the story of Madden Moon, Alpha of the Texas Rogues. He comes to the rescue of a beautiful female shifter who is on the run. He knows instantly she is his mate and offers protection, sanctuary, and a place in his bed. With despicable villains chasing his mate, Madden calls upon members of the Wolf Creek pack of West Texas to help fight the predators who want to hurt his lady.

What made you write ‘this’ story?
It was important to me to extend this series into other geographical areas. So I moved the action from the small shifter town in West Texas into East Texas. With six books in the series and the possibilities for new stories seemingly endless, I need new places for the wild wolves to roam. I also went into this knowing that Mad Moon would be a full novel. The other books of the HPS series are novellas or short novels and I wanted to give readers more.

What do you think makes a good story?
Characters. Lovable/likable characters are what keeps the reader involved. As a writer, developing intriguing, warm, funny and sexy characters is so satisfying. All writers know there are no truly original plot lines. It is only by defining new ‘actors’ that we can bring new life to a well-worn plot line.

What’s the hardest thing about writing and how do you handle it?
Promotion is the hardest thing because it’s an important part of the business of writing. I’m not very good at it and I’m constantly ‘tech challenged’ with this stuff. It takes time away from writing (which is what pays the bills) but the whole balancing act of promotion vs. writing is a Catch-22. You can’t be successful at one without the other. I’ve recently hired an assistant to help with promo so I’m hopeful to find some relief with this whole thing.

If you could bring one of your characters to life, which one would it be and why?
Joe McKinnon. He’s the hero of Lone Star Lycan (HPS). What a sexy beast! He’s big, tough and brawny…my ideal of a sexy man yet when he meets the woman he loves, he is unafraid to open up. Something about him touched me. Joe is fearlessness, not only in fighting battles but in speaking the truths in his heart (despite the notion that might not be the manly thing to do). Honesty defined him along with all that testosterone.

If you could have dinner with 5 people, who would you choose and why?
Hmm. Toughy. I can’t think of five but I know that I’d love to have dinner with both my dad and my grandmother, who have been gone for a long time. I miss them.


If you could travel in a time machine, would go back to the past or to the future?
The past. Definitely. I think that would be so interesting.

What does your family and friends think about your writing erotic romances?
My family is super supportive (although my mom has yet to read one of my books). My kids are especially proud of me. My daughter went to EC’s Romanticon convention with me last year and it was so good for her to get more of a feel of what I do for a living. Quite eye-opening for her and she is 100 percent behind me in my chosen career course.

How important is reader feedback, good or bad, to you?
Very important! I love to hear from readers and often their comments will determine whether I continue with a series. When readers ask constantly about a particular secondary character, I just know I have to write the book. It helps!

What is your greatest temptation?
Fattening food! Anything cheesy or chocolaty just kills me. And ICE CREAM??? My biggest weakness ever.

What is your greatest weakness?
Ahhh, that’s easy. I get my feelings hurt far too easily. Close friends and family know this about me and it’s worrisome because I don’t want them to ‘measure’ what they say for fear I’ll take it wrong. Sadly, I usually do. Guess I’m a work in progress just like my stories!


High Plains Shifters, Book 6
Madden Moon knows what the woman is the second she walks into the old café. Shifter. Wolf. Trouble. Struck by her beauty and the air of exhaustion about her, the leader of the Texas Rogues wishes her straight out of town. But as the mating energy of their species sizzles between them and her enemies approach, Madden has no alternative but to bring the beautiful lycan under his protection and into his bed.

Runaway Lana Vronski is in big trouble. As she races through the woods, local wolves in hot pursuit, she believes all is lost until she’s rescued by oh-so-sexy Madden. When he offers her sanctuary and sex hot enough to singe them both, she accepts his proposal. But it isn’t until the mating heat between them burns wildly out of control that Lana learns her true salvation awaits in his arms. Lana’s enemies are relentless, however, and will stop at nothing to rip her from the arms of the man she loves.


Buy Links:


Ellora's Cave


High Plains Shifters, Book 5                                                                
In the deep of night she longs for him. Mate, lycan, lover. Her lawman. As Katalin Petrova struggles to control her wild and untamed “gift”, she yearns for the only man who can make her whole. His every touch burns, searing her with unimaginable pleasure. Only her strong, protective lover can tame the wild yearnings of her body and help her claim the power of her ancestors.

While Gabriel Dunham, lycan lieutenant of the Wolf Creek Pack, watches over his intended mate, his patience to claim her nears an end as savage need burns his body. Consumed by unbridled lust, he claims her, takes her, hoping it will be enough to protect Katalin from unseen forces determined to rip her from his arms.

Buy Links:


Ellora's Cave


High Plains Shifters, Book 4
From the moment Cactus Mackey rescues Sara Farmer from outlaw wolves, he knows she belongs to him—and he’s more than ready to mess up some sheets with the sassy female. But she has secrets and wants to run. Infuriating woman! He might have to tie her to his bed but he’s not about to give up until she belongs to him, body and soul.

As danger chases her, Sara knows it’s a huge mistake to fall head over heels for the sexy lycan cowboy from Wolf Creek Ranch. A single touch from this shockingly seductive man melts her like butter under the hot Texas sun, and has her yearning for impossible things. The man is big trouble to her heart and running may no longer be an option.

Buy Links:


Ellora's Cave


High Plains Shifters, Book 3  but can be a stand-alone story.      
Rayne dreamed of the day Ringo would claim her as his mate, changing her into the lycan she is meant to be. One touch from his hands burns her with a flame hot enough to scorch the Texas plains. But the moody lycan has made it clear he doesn’t want her. That’s just too damn bad! The sexy Latino lycan belongs to her and she aims to claim him, no matter what it takes.

Ringo hides the pain of his tortured past behind a menacing sneer. Learning that Rayne is meant to be his mate is unwelcome news. She deserves better than to be saddled with a man with his checkered past. It isn’t until she is taken from him that he knows she is the only woman who can heal his battered soul.


Buy Links:


Ellora's Cave



High Plains Shifters, Book 2
She came to dusty west Texas to bury the dead. But one look from Joe’s smoldering eyes made Quinn Harlow grow wet and needy. The cowboy was too big, too sexy, too everything, and more man than she’d ever had before. Though she was just a visitor, her heart begged her to stay and find her destiny with him on these desolate plains.

Joe McKinnon, alpha of the Wolf Creek pack, takes one look at his destined mate and knows he’ll have his hands full dealing with the sassy female. A single glance has his cock going hard. One touch has him willing to move mountains to claim her. He knows it won’t be easy to tame the woman who holds his future in her hands.
Reader Advisory: Includes a scintillating M/F/M ménage scene. Enjoy!


Buy Links:



Ellora's Cave



High Plains Shifters, Book 1  but can be a stand-alone story.       
From the moment she looked through the antique mirror and saw him change from beast to man, Martha wanted him. The brawny Highlander, sexy and dark, made her body burn for his possession. But when he reached through the glass to yank her straight into the past, her fantasy became reality.

Trapped by an evil curse, Silas MacAdam, the lycan king, yearned for the modern woman who stared so innocently at him through the mirror. The need to take, to claim, to possess her on the furs in his ancient castle, burned him. Only she can help him return to his rightful place among his people. Upon their arrival in modern-day Texas, it becomes his mission to convince the lady that she belongs to him—as his mate.

Buy Links:


Ellora's Cave


Author Bio:

A bit about me…
I grew up in small town Oklahoma then moved to Texas  where I lived for over thirty years.  Once upon a time I worked as a newspaper journalist, as a public relations director for a university,  and other assorted things but these days I am an award winning, multi-published author.
I like writing that is hot, edgy, and often humorous, and try to put this trademark stamp on all of my stories. These days I live in sunny Florida where I find the temps ‘heat up’ my creative urges.  I am a doting, fawning, and over-indulgent mom to my two adult children and believe them to be the coolest people in the world.
When I’m not penning steamy erotic tales set in  paranormal worlds or writing hot contemporary books (usually featuring a cowboy or two) I  indulge in long chats with friends who help me stay sane and keep me laughing. Wanna be my friend forever? Make me laugh.

Contact Regina:
Wow, that was such a fun interview!! Thanks again, Regina for taking time out of your busy schedule to be here today. Now, everyone go to Regina's website and check out more of her books and see what's coming next.
Next Wednesday is Christmas, so there won't be an Author Wednesdays. I hope everyone is ready and excited. Author Wednesdays will return on January 1, 2014. Please stop back then as my guest will be Samantha Cayto!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment